After hearing Donald Trump repeat ad nauseam that “We [the U.S.] are losing in trade to China, losing to Mexico…”, I decide to check for myself !
- U.S. exports to China have been steadily increasing for the last 15 years, but the imports from China have sky-rocketed during the same period.
- Trade balance with Mexico has actually been pretty stable for the last 10 years.
- Among the top-8 commercial partners, Canada is the 1st importer of U.S. goods. Mexico is second, China is third.
- Exchanges with Canada have dropped sharply in 2015.
- Trade data: www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/country.xlsx
- CPI data: www.download.bls.gov/pub/time.series/cu/cu.data.0.Current